Frequently Asked Questions
What does someone have to do to get a marriage license?
A couple who intends to be married in New York State must apply together in person for a marriage license to any town or city clerk in the state. Each applicant must furnish identification when applying for a license. According to Town of Beekman policy, the following documents are acceptable: driver's license, birth certificate, passport, active credit card or baptismal record. In the event one of the parties is a not a citizen of the United States, the following identification will be accepted: passport, Green card, USA Resident Alien Card, work permit or naturalization papers.

The application for a license must be signed both by the future bride and the groom in the presence of the Clerk. If both parties are eighteen (18) years of age or older, no written parental or judicial consent is required. Information regarding previous marriages must be furnished in the application for a marriage license. This includes whether the former spouse or spouses are living, and whether the applicants are divorced and if so, when, where and against whom the divorce or divorces were granted. Only an original or certified copy of the Decree of Divorce for each divorce is accepted. Although the marriage license is issued immediately, the marriage ceremony may not occur within twenty-four (24) hours from the exact time that the license is issued and the document is then valid for sixty (60) days after the twenty-four hour waiting period.

The fee for a marriage license is $40.00. It is advisable to schedule an appointment to obtain a Marriage License. Special arrangments are available if necessary.

How do I get a Certificate of Residency?
Certificates of Residency are issued by Dutchess County Clerks.

Office Address:
22 Market St.
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

What do I need to license my dog?
Currently, almost 1,500 canines are licensed in the Town of Beekman. However, before a license can be obtained or renewed, a current rabies vaccination must be proven. The Dutchess County Department of Health requires all dogs six months of age or older to be vaccinated for rabies. Having rabies information is crucial for the general public's well being. In addition, if the dog has been neutered or spayed, a certificate of neutering or spaying must also be presented in order to be eligible for a reduced licensing fee. The breakdown for dog licensing fees is as follows:

Type of DogRate
Neutered Male  (with certificate or affidavit)$10.00
Spayed Female  (with certificate or affidavit)$10.00
Unneutered Male$18.00
Unspayed Female$18.00

The Town Clerk's Office processes all new dog licenses and collects renewal fees.The actual annual renewal notices for a dog license is sent out on a monthly basis by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets. Dog owners who do not respond to the annual renewal notice will be contacted by the Clerk's Office. In the event there is no response from the dog's owner after several delinquency letters the names and addresses of these individuals are passed onto the Town's Dog Control Officers. The animal's owner can be ticketed and/or fined for not complying with the Town's ordinances.

How do I register or reregister to vote?
Both the New York State Voter Registration Form and the Absentee Ballot Application are available through the Town of Beekman Clerk's Office. The Voter Registration Form is used when an individual needs to: register to vote, change their name or address (if there is a change since the last time they voted) or to enroll or change their enrollment in a particular political party. This form once completed needs to be mailed or hand delivered to the Dutchess County Board of Elections.  If you want to vote in an election, this form needs to be received by the board of elections no later than twenty-five (25) days prior to the election in which you want to vote. Eligibility to vote will be based upon the date that the voter registration form was filed. In the event a person is already registered but will not be able to physically go to their preassigned polling place to vote in a primary or a general election, an Absentee Ballot Application can be utilized. Once completed and returned to the Dutchess County Board of Elections, the individual will be subsequently sent a paper ballot and be given the opportunity to vote.

Home | Town Board | Town Offices & Departments | Town Committees | Contact Us | Beekman Library | Beekman Fire District | Hazard / Emergency Resource Page | Town Documents | Town Archived Webcasts | Useful Public Info | Dutchess County Government | Site Map
Printer-friendly Version